You are someone’s type
NAMbts joins hands with Abbott and Cristiano Ronaldo
08 November 2019 | Business
The Namibia Blood Transfusion Service (NAMbts) has joined hands with various other blood services around the world in launching the BE THE 1 campaign.
This is in partnership with Abbott, an American pharmaceutical and medical services company. This partnership was announced at the annual general meeting of the NAMbts on Thursday, 31 October.
BE THE 1 is a partnership between Abbott, the football player Cristiano Ronaldo and blood banks around the world.
“The campaign is raising awareness globally to inspire young people to become regular donors. The BE THE 1 movement puts the power of better health and saving lives into the hands of people around the world through blood donation,” Titus Shivute, the educational officer of NAMbts, said during the meeting.
Cristiano Ronaldo is the first global ambassador for Abbott’s BE THE 1 movement. Ronaldo has been donating blood since the age of 24 and is encouraging others to join this global movement. NAMbts aims to improve donations in the coming year by 10% at the five fixed donation sites countrywide and increase awareness of the movement on social media.
“We are hoping to increase blood donation frequency from repeat donors by leveraging on Ronaldo’s social responsibility and commitment towards blood donation. The permanent centres provide a convenience for all donors to help save lives and we are urging all Namibians, especially the youth, to donate more frequently,” said Zita Tobin, the NAMbts manager for donor recruitment and public relations.
The five blood donation centres are open at the following times:
· 35 Tal Street centre is open from 07:00 to 16:00 every weekday, and until 18:00 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
· The United House centre in Independence Avenue is open from 08:30 to 16:00 on weekdays.
· Swakopmund centre in 4 Ferdinand Stich Street is open every Monday from 10:00 to 18:00.
· Walvis Bay centre behind Welwitschia Medipark is open every Tuesday from 10:00 to 18:00.
· Oshakati Centre on the Oshakati State Hospital Grounds is open every Thursday from 10:00 to 18:00.